Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Auto Topoff system

Savager

I recently upgraded my light to 70W MH with 10k bulb and 2 24W PC light. I used the custom hood and put two strong fans to blow on the light so the temp seems to be stable but the water vaporate so much. I really need to get an auto topoff system urgently.

What should I get? JBJ auto topoff system from Nanocustom looks good and pretty reasonable price. I am not really good with DIY so I don't think I can built one from scratch. Is there any other place I can get a reliable system and little cheaper?

Thanks.

p.s. BTW I have 12G DX tank.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

save your self some time and buy the dual float topoff from autotopoff.com, they work well and are made much better than anything commercial.

Not sure of any of the products mentioned so far, except JBJ's ATO. I heard JBJ's makes a loud screaming noise everytime it turns on. VERY annoying IMO.

I personally have a Reef Fanatic Level Controller that comes with 2 sensors. I have it setup on a mode where when the water level drops it will fill it up, but if that sensor gets stuck down for some reason, the second sensor when floated all the way up, will turn off the ATO. Just in case! Problem with the reeffanatic is that pieces of carbon etc can get stuck inside the floaters, which has happened to me. To prevent this, just make sure you don't have any bead media floating around, or create a cage around the float sensor. Otherwise it works great!! I'm getting two more units soon!

Not sure of any of the products mentioned so far, except JBJ's ATO. I heard JBJ's makes a loud screaming noise everytime it turns on. VERY annoying IMO.

I personally have a Reef Fanatic Level Controller that comes with 2 sensors. I have it setup on a mode where when the water level drops it will fill it up, but if that sensor gets stuck down for some reason, the second sensor when floated all the way up, will turn off the ATO. Just in case! Problem with the reeffanatic is that pieces of carbon etc can get stuck inside the floaters, which has happened to me. To prevent this, just make sure you don't have any bead media floating around, or create a cage around the float sensor. Otherwise it works great!! I'm getting two more units soon!

What is the URL for Reef Fanatic Level Controller? How much it cost?

The one from california reefs works really well....

I second that. I installed one from california reefs last month. Works extremely well and corals are much healthier looking with ATO laced with kalkwasser.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

Ok I've went thru a few topoff's. Things I didn't like, the jbj, makes a loud beeping noice when activated, it can't be turned off, you have to take the thing apart and remove the pizzo buzzer, the only way.

Then there is the reef fanatic, I've seen this sell for 125. You would think its a good on, well yuou get it out of the box and find out the 2 floats are mounted via "SUCTION CUPS". Well we all no were that is going, and no snail guards. Another disaster in your future.

So now I bought the dual float one from autotopoff.com, very happy with it, the floats have pvc snail guards, the mount is adjustable and very solid, I really dont see anything else out there that is as good, and its only 50buck + ship.

The one from www.californiareefs.com is a pos because it has no second fail safe float switch to turn the system off if the first switch gets stuck, and believe me these thing can build up a little salt creep and jam, I clean mine every 3 weeks. So if the switc gets stuck it will put all of what's in your reservior into your tank, not only will this cause overflow of the tank or sump, your salinity will change drastically and kill corals and fish.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DT1/index.htm

Does anyone make an electrical sensor top off system. Say a small strip with two live leads, one above the other? It would then be able to keep your waterline right between the two leads. Water level above higher sensor, pump off. Water level drops, decreases conductivity across the two sensors, and the water pump turns on. Really, just a simple conductivity sensor with a set it's leads separated. It could then be possible to set up your sensor without worrying about anything blocking a mechanical float. Any thoughts?

BTW, I'm new here and want to just say after lurking and reading this site I learned a lot and got me into reef keeping with a clear understanding of how little I know. So a thanks to everyone for this rapid learning program, as does my 10 year old daughter who decided FW wasn't chalenging enough for her (even though I was keeping the tank running), but reefs looked really good. And I never even liked fish before, unless I was in a restaurant........

I have been looking at this for a while and I am anxious to find something good. My biggest problem is that I find the water pumps too big. I am afraid that they would not be precise enough and may overfill my 12g JBJ.

I am currently favoring using a www.floatswitch.com floatswitch that will be connected to an airpump. The airpump would be triggered by the float. Once triggered, air would be pumped into my pressurized water container which would force water into the tank.

Has anyone done this? Does it provide better control? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Been kicking around if I really want to add a ATO-- Ive got a 18 gal that requires about a quart a day to top off...

KInda like changing the oil in your car(check hoses and belt at same time)-- I add the water every morning before going to work ( along with kents new 2 part ca and buffer for Nano) at this time I kinda look and check to make sure everthing looks and is running correctly... Gotta do the manual 2 part so Might as well do water.....just a thought to pondar.

If my salinity was fluctuateing alot I would have already had one in place--lol.

Mdrumm-- the autotopoff.com looks like the best option to me-- YOu can get the unbent model to bend exactly where you want it Plus it would fit my acrylic tank better... Looks like with the double sens. autotopoff you will need a pump, reservoir and tubing... Autotopoff looks the most simplistic to me without some computer module that alarms and has something else to go bad.

Just my 0.02

Izzue

With my reef fanatic level controller, I bought some airline tubing and a TOM Aqualifter ($10, bigalsonline.com) and put the airline into a 5gallon water jug. I go through about 4 gallons a week in my 32 gallon tank. It has yet to fail me =)

Reef Fanatic Level Controller w/ 2 sensors: $90 premiumaquatics.com

TOM Aqualifter: $10 bigalsonline.com

Airline Tubing: $1.50 petco

not sure what the other ATO systems need tho, but those are your basics.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER
excuse my newbness, but for the autotopoff.com setup, what additional equipment would need to be purchased? thanks.

all u need is the pump to get it into the sump, and a hose. I bough a pump from him as well.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

I use a 6 gal bucket that had the 200 gal of oceanic salt in it. Hell go to home depot, they have those orange 5 gal bucket cheap.

The air driven design takes a little more tweaking but if you are lazy (like me) it is nice to know that your pump will never run dry if you forget to refill the reservoir.

Archived