Top Shelf Aquatics

Xenia out of control help

smallslice

smallslice

This stuff is taking over my tank! I have a an aquapod, 12 with 70HQI. My tank has been going for about a year and a half. All of my other corals are doing fine and I have 1 clownfish. I started with 1 small clipping, now it has spread like wildfire, It has overtaken two Zooainthoid colonies "now it is personal". It is even starting to plant itself in the sand. I am afraid in another year and a half, it will be a zenia only tank. The variety I bought was called "Blue Zenia". Some of the other posts said cut it out, not possible Please give me your thoughts and insights.

post-26267-1212337880_thumb.jpg

smallslice

By selling this "weed" I would be giving other people the same misery I am having. I already make good money, I wouldn't want to make more off of other people's misery.

By selling this "weed" I would be giving other people the same misery I am having. I already make good money, I wouldn't want to make more off of other people's misery.

Man, this is one of the corals I was going to put in my tank. Now after reading your post and a few others it might be a no way type of coral.

What about fragging it and just bring some to your lfs? My lfs loves freebies.

I generally like to keep xenia high in the tank. It tends to grow up towards the light and if it is already up high it doesn't have much to try and grow over. In my BC29 it actaully went from my top rock to growing up the back wall. It was actaully kind of cool.

Anyhow, the easiest way I've found to control my xenia is to place LR rubble in and around the colony. The xenia will move onto the rubble on it's own over time - You can then sell, trade or toss those frags easily and then just replace the rubble.

Good Luck

One man's trash is another man's treasure..

+1 on Pickles idea. I had an issue with mine. I Fragged it and just left in the middle of the sand away from other rocks. It grows into a thick bush right there. I then place rubble around and it attach its self to those than give away or trade.

If I where you take out the rock they are on. Peel away the other stalks so there is no more left. You can take a small bunch of it an rubber band it to a small piece of rock and leave that in the sand. Sell or trade the large colony.

gulfsurfer101

I you wann trade for something I would be interested in it. I wanna try placing it in my fuge and just letting it run wild. I have some zoas, shrooms, favia, favites, and some torch frags I could possibly trade.

The rubble idea usually is ok, you could also surround it with corals it can't grow over. I have a torch on one side of my xenia and it does not grow anywhere near it.

jamesnmandy
a local reefer just fraggs them and throws them away...

thats what i typically have to do...i mean, what else can you do with it if no LFS wants it and nobody you know wants it....the only other thing i have found that works is sticking it in the fuge, acts as a great nutrient absorber, they have been surviving fine on 45 watts of fluorescent light

Scott Howard

I have some stupid Xenia thats on a base rock I cant move, not sure what to do. Might have to get the scissors out. Thoughts?

I have some stupid Xenia thats on a base rock I cant move, not sure what to do. Might have to get the scissors out. Thoughts?

nose plugs

GrandpaFeathers

I will pay for this. In my mantis tank, im not really getting any corals, just xenia, or starburst coral.

I guess you could go make me pay $65.97 at my lfs for a piece the size of my fist, or you can let me pay to have this shipped to me......

I would also like some Xenia Im in central california and would be willing to pay shipping if you were otherwise just going to throw it away.

Let me know.

tropicalcoconut3@hotmial.com

Won't work.... it will just grow back... if any sliver of Xenia is left behind it will regrow. You'd have to pull the rock and cook it.

I would also like some Xenia Im in central california and would be willing to pay shipping if you were otherwise just going to throw it away.

Let me know.

tropicalcoconut3@hotmial.com

Where in the Central Valley area you? If you are close I can probably hook you up.

GrandpaFeathers

Im in Idaho. Would you be able to send to me?

ill pay shipping for sure.

I'd really appreciate this, im not planning on any other corals anyway. lol.

I can't get over how much people want this weed.. Including myself... I guess even dandelions are cute.. Thanks for all the ideas on how to keep it in check...

smallslice

Has anyone seen Gremlins (80's movie), it all starts out with a cute little guy and the next thing you know massive pandemonium breaks out when you add a little water and let them stay up all night. For those of you who want some, send me an email: at esheeley@stockbridgeloans.com and when I frag it out I will get in touch with you. Buyer beware!

Archived