inTank Media Baskets

cheap DIY PVC overflow system

evoIX

I'm trying to make one for my pico, but 1/4 and 1/2" pipe dont seem to keep up with my pump (a fountain pump i think its around 80 gph?) is there ways to increase the flow? a 1" pipe can handle 500gph why cant a 1/2" handle 250? does changing the length of the inside or outside parts affect it? is 50-80gph going to be enough for a 3 gal? (i have zoa's and 3 sps corals)

or would a aquaclear70 refuge mod be better than a sump?

I'm trying to make one for my pico, but 1/4 and 1/2" pipe dont seem to keep up with my pump (a fountain pump i think its around 80 gph?) is there ways to increase the flow? a 1" pipe can handle 500gph why cant a 1/2" handle 250? does changing the length of the inside or outside parts affect it? is 50-80gph going to be enough for a 3 gal? (i have zoa's and 3 sps corals)

or would a aquaclear70 refuge mod be better than a sump?

i believe they mentioned the overall design should be the same but the longer the intake the better. i haven't tested mine yet but should be ready this weekend.tomorrow for a wet test. overall during minor test it was working fine.

post a picture of your design.

mine:

photo5.jpg

materials:

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Btw primer is supposed to go on seconds before the glue. So priming all the pieces at once is a bad idea, the primer actually softens the pvc a bit ang gets it ready to accept the glue.

just tested it and flows like a mad man. used a 5gallon bucket and pushed it back with the stock pump from the bc29. not sure what the flow rating would be but it was definitely not keeping up AT ALL.

Btw primer is supposed to go on seconds before the glue. So priming all the pieces at once is a bad idea, the primer actually softens the pvc a bit ang gets it ready to accept the glue.

understood. but the concept is just like any other primer. get it ready to adhere. i've never seen a problem/leak how i've performed it. that's why i have all my pieces already made and it takes me probably a minute MAX to have all my pieces primered. after i begin glueing with the first primered object up first etc.

wisdomteethpico086.jpg

wisdomteethpico072.jpg

the flow is good enough for my freshwater pico, but to slow for my sps in my reef pico i could add a mini jet but that would look cluttered?maybe?

wisdomteethpico085.jpg

i would suggest put a check valve. it helps a lot with pulling any air bubbles you may have that could cause an issue.

you dril a hole on one of the 90 elbows to fit an air check valve. you can buy it at your lfs. not expensive 2-3 bucks. then silicone (hopefully you have but a 1oz is like 5 bucks.

put the silicone around the in tube prior to inserting so that any possible pockets should be removed. i placed a piece of tape going around the check valve/90 so that it can be as low and sturdy as possible. left it alone for 24+ hours before a test. silicone does take a while to heal/seal.

suggestion:

wisdomteethpico086.jpg

my placement of the check valve seemed like a great location at the time but noticed it shoots straight up to the check valve and i was blasted with great tasting nano tank water!

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

lol :owned: owned by physics and pvc.

Keep us posted on your progress though, I'd love to be able to jerry rig a cheap overflow for my pico than buying one

That is correct. the primer is suppose to go on and then the joint made immediately while the primer is still wet. If you wait for the primer to dry why use it at all??

lol :owned: owned by physics and pvc.

Keep us posted on your progress though, I'd love to be able to jerry rig a cheap overflow for my pico than buying one

its on my freshwater pico works but is slow(witch is good for a refugium) so have to add a mini jet if you want a reef :) i love Physics!!!!!!

i didnt even glue mine lol no leaks .. yet ..

i have tested it and while trying to pull it out my tank to stop it before my 5gallon bucket overflowed. i dropped it back in and the siphon picked right up. if you look at the link. many reviews show the siphon will pick right up. if you look at the design on reasoning on how it restarts siphon/why. then gives a better thought process to the whole design.

once it loses siphon it doesn't pull air or not too much air into the top U so the water is still there. the bottom Us are designed to be the same height and output higher so that there is water in those locations so no air can be drawn to the top U. once the water starts again the siphon will just pick up where it started. NO air that stops it. think of how lifereef and U tubes work on their systems the U keeps the water so that when the water returns the siphon was never lost and can continue to work. ~atleast what i theorized about it and from what i've read. every analysis is different.

I picked some 1/2" piping to make one of these and test it over the weekend. I still don't understand how the siphon keeps after a power outage - and a 1/2" piping might be too small for my overflow ( after reading this thread - I think I'll need bigger ).

My return pump is 250 gph - Will the 1/2" piping be enough as an overflow? If not - how big should I go?

Any suggestions as to piping - trickle filter / angles / etc - to minimize noise with the overflow into a sump.

for noise i put my drain go almost all the way to the bottom with a sponge from a maxijet/mag. also look into filter socks. they minimize the bubble. as far as noise just make sure it goes as down low as possible.

for 250 i would use a 3/4" ~300gph

1" ~600gph

twelve volt pro

I have used this on my 29 gallon and now my 40b system. They are super easy to build and work flawlessly. I have never had a problem with them loosing siphon.

In case anyone wants to know, they maintain siphon because when the power goes out, the water only gets as far as the lowest point in the outer bend below the output of the T. Once water is introduced back into the intake inside the tank it just starts running again.

my placement of the check valve seemed like a great location at the time but noticed it shoots straight up to the check valve and i was blasted with great tasting nano tank water!

What's the check valve for? I wasn't aware of the need for check valve with this style of overflow??

check valve helps remove any air bubbles

How, I'm not familiar with check vavles? I thought they were used in line with air lines - to keep water from backflowing into your air pump?

Is this what you are referring to?

pPETS-3762478t400.jpg

How does it work to remove air bubbles from the siphon? and which direction would you install it?

black side up. from your pic left side UP. you can tell the difference by trying to pull air from it (testing which side you have to suck from).

you suck up the air bubbles. from what i perceive the airbubble would go to the highest most point where there actual portion within the check valve will be the end point. i have no clue on if it will automatically let the air out but i know i remove as much as possible til there's water in my mouth and drain is flowing smoothly. i would suggest using a airline tube and once the airline tube has water within then no more air bubbles no water in your mouth ;)

my info is only perceived logic of the design. i unfortunately didn't create it and just using my brain cells to decipher a logical answer. if i am wrong. please feel free to correct me. <<QUITE POSSIBLE.

Wow this definitely seems very cool. I tried looking on the site you gave but I don't have the time to browse through all 31 pages. Is there a step by step on setting this up? Can the output end of the tube go down to say, the floor, if I have my tank on a stand with no room to put the sump at the same level?

you can pretty much set it to however you need it. just has to have the same exact design of placement/height of Us and output higher than the outer U...looks like it may need to have output lower than the Us as well or it could effect performance. i have extra pvc. i'll try to see different effects.

Well, I would need to set it up with the outer U farther below the innter u. As the inner U would be in the 12" high tank on my desk, and the out U would be in a bucket on the floor.

Archived