Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 MB Hood Light Mod

doncb

I wasn't real happy with the light from the Coralife 10w 50/50 in my 2.5 MB. Not very bright and the right side of the tank was noticeably darker than the left. I was going to order a 20w 50/50 and decided to go ahead and move the socket over to fit the longer length of the 20w lamp. Instead of moving the socket over, I decided to just put in a new socket. So I picked up a lamp socket from HD and took the stock socket out. I cut away the plastic webbing so the lamp base would fit. Next, I soldered lead wires to the mounts in the socket and epoxied the socket to the side of the hood. I put a screw through the hood to help hold the socket in place. Next, I mounted the 9w Actinic socket using superglue and epoxy. I also mounted a splash guard in the hood. Not sure I need that 20w afterall! :)

Moded hood:

Light_mod.jpg

Before:

DSC01481.jpg

After:

DSC01484.jpg

Zoos under Actinic only:

DSC01492.jpg

• 1 month later...
ELGORDOINAVW

That's pretty good, About 3 years ago a guy by the name of Tylert? Modded a MB2.5 w/4x13 watt PC's. It had some awesome growth until he forgot to turn on the fan. Everything ended up frying. How much longer is the 20W? I had a Eclipse 3 gallon w/4x13 watt PC's and that tank did excellent-

Where did you get the 9watt socket? Does it need any type of ballast. I'm in the same boat as you, the 20w mod leave a bit of a dark space.

Originally posted by ADough

Where did you get the 9watt socket? Does it need any type of ballast. I'm in the same boat as you, the 20w mod leave a bit of a dark space.

I had an old CustomSealife light and used the balast & socket from it. You could use this kit: 9w kit

I read somewhere you can remove the socket from the balast and make it a remote balast. Don't remember where though.

Here is a pic of the hood w/ the 20w light. Also has an LED moonlight and you can see the fan in the back. I took off the plexiglass splashguard so the lamps show up better. The reflector is the stock one and you can see where I painted the hood white which throws light to the right side better. The fan & LED are on 24/7 and run on 3.5vdc.

20w_MB_Hood.jpg

Thanks don,

I've been told that the socket/ballast is a hard to find part by my lfs. Is ther moonlight anything special? How do they look in a 2.5mb? I'd love to put one in mine.

Originally posted by ADough

Thanks don,

I've been told that the socket/ballast is a hard to find part by my lfs.  Is ther moonlight anything special? How do they look in a 2.5mb? I'd love to put one in  mine.

I'd just order the 9watt kit from Hellolights and see if the ballast can be removed. The single blue LED in the hood (running @ 3.5vdc casts a soft glow in the tank which really fluoreses some of the Zoas. Looks nice.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived