Innovative Marine Aquariums

another bent glass tank

adinsxq

it measures 9" high, 6" deep, and 7" high.... about 1.5 gallon volume. it's made from 3 pieces of glass (a base, a back, and a curved front/sides panel)

attachment.php?postid=466319

the glass is only curved at the corners (not a bow front) and this seems to be the case for the smaller tanks (as well as lacking in the thick lip on the base (which i assume eliminates the need for the plastic rims)) made by the mfg mentioned in this thread: has anyone seen these?

attachment.php?postid=466324

i bought me some wood and made me a hood

attachment.php?postid=466330

attachment.php?postid=466332

attachment.php?postid=466334

attachment.php?postid=466340

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by adinsxq

it measures 9" high, 6" deep, and 7" high.... about 1.5 gallon volume.  it's made from 3 pieces of glass (a base, a back, and a curved front/sides panel)

So its.... lets see.... 9 + 7 = 15 inches high?:P:);) But not very deep getting a rock in theres gonna suck.:

Originally posted by SoS

So its.... lets see.... 9 + 7 = 15 inches high?:P:);)  But not  very deep getting a rock in theres gonna suck.:

lol.... sorry the correct LxWxH (not HxWxH)is 9x6x7

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Type-H20

Nice Tank, great hood and base......but,......If you built that nice hood with dual switches for the lights....why are you using what looks to be like a desk lamp over your tank(this is not meant to be insulting)......did you have trouble getting the actinic to fire?

winter break (had to come back to school) ended and didn't get the chance to heat shrink-wrap the connections. the last picture accurately represents the current lighting setup... a 13w hellolights 50/50 bulb in my desklamp.

other updates include moving both the thermometer probe and 50w hagen tronic heater into the HOB. this required a little tinkering with the HOB. in order to keep the heater submerged to the minimum level i had to cut a piece of acrylic to to the size and dimensions of the mechanical cartridge insert (works like a dam and raises the reservior level). i also added a piece of acrylic that sits on the lip of the tank for two reasons: 1. i'm having issues with evaporation (almost a pint a day) 2. the waterfall from the HOB gives a very small misty splash that. when i get a free weekend, i'm going to visit a glass shop and get a custom piece cut.

yeah the rock looks gross now lol. part of that is diatoms, but mostly just poor visibility due to overly dirty glass.

i'm going to ditch the bayco hack. the ballast is naked. my first reaction was to encase it in an acrylic housing contraption of some sort, but in hopes of avoiding fire, i'm going to ditch the whole thing (yeah i know... $25 down the drain). instead i now have my eyes on a pair of fulham "WHAM2" ballasts. the WHAMs will be remote and won't contribute heat and are pretty rugged (rated for outdoor use).

lizbeth is doing some tests (on the bayco "issue") but i personally don't remember if i tried my different make bulbs and if they worked or not.

link: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=8789

as of now there is a thumb sized green-star-polyp frag in the tank and nothing else. i'm looking for a suitable snail.

thanks for showing interest in my tank :)

I have the 13W PC in my nano and I thought the 6500K was a bit yellow. I used both the 1 actinic & 1 10 K and 2 50/50's. i thought the color output was very nice.

• 1 month later...

why do u need a powerfilter anyways? for a little fuge? if so does it do anything cuz it can only hold a small ammount of macro algae.

Originally posted by qwuintus

why do u need a powerfilter anyways? for a little fuge? if so does it do anything cuz it can only hold a small ammount of macro algae.

the HOB has 4 things in it.

1. acrylic insert to raise the water level 3/4"

2. heater

3. temperature probe

4. some rock rubble and a tiny bit of spaghetti macro

its purpose:

1. keep the heater/thermometer "out" of the tank

2. provide water movement (another strategy to keep things (ie powerhead) out of the tank)

3. waterfall action provides some cooling

4. slightly increase water volume

note: fans in the previous picture are 50mm 12vdc fans. juiced at 12v, they're way to loud (28db). i'm running them at 5vdc (silent). the bulbs in the picture are 13w. the actual ballast (workhorse22) won't fire hellolight's actinics (not enough current) so i'm downgrading to 9w CFs. good news is that i like the 18w over 26 total better. bad news is finding the color temp bulbs i want. tank's still running off on a single 10mo old 50/50 HL PC bulb. needs replacement badly. oh, cody (user:cmoreash) sent me some frags. i'll post pictures later

• 1 month later...

oh yeah. here's the completed hood if anyone cares:

- 2x9w realux 50/50 (7100k w - 12000k B)

- fulham workhorse 22 ballast (too weak. under-drives bulbs)

- diy pins (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=diy+pin)

- vantec HD dual cooling [bulbs] (powered at 5vdc to lower dB )

- 55mm ADDA 12vdc fan [ballast] (powered at 5vdc to lower dB )

- sits on acrylic sheet (spash + evaporation)

i want to switch the ballast for a WH33 but i don't have time (nor $ ;)). yeah... no reflector. was going to throw a ahsupply reflector in there, but decided i'm done messing with this tank and am just going to let it mature as is.

i walk down to the student store once a week for a gallon of arrowhead distilled water ($1.40 :( ). of that, 0.5-1.0 liters goes to salt mix (variation due to salinity adjustments) and the rest gets used up in top off (maybe a cup a day).

Adinsxq:

Where in the Hell did you find 2x9w realux 50/50 (7100k w - 12000k B)?

I have been looking for higher k temp bulbs for my Mini might forever!! What kind of base do they have?

i steal mine from my LFS, but marinedepot.com also stocks them ;)

i don't know if they will fit a mini-mite light, sorry.

realux (aka taam) also makes 7100k solid whites, and 12000k blues... if you're into that. i honestly prefer hellolights.com 's 420-430nm actinics over "blue" bulbs, but that's just personal preference. if i were to upgrade the ballast, i'd pop my 10000K 13w JBJ bulbs with the 03 HLs. but like i said.... keeping hands out of the tank, out of the hood ;)

Nice job! Good to see ya back up and fully functional. Mostly pleased that it is a "True" Nano. Your now officially a member of the hardcore 3 gallon and under club. Now ya gotta pack that puppy with corals and livestock to the extreme of making most Marine Biologists cringe and scratch their heads in awe.

Archived