Cultivated Reef

Wrasse identification please help.

Styles

lakshwadeep

Good luck with it. Species in that genus are apparently very sensitive; although, it might be shipping stress than difficulties when in a tank.

^+1 research before purchase.. you can always ask a lfs to hold something while u find out a little more about it

wrasse are good fish that stay to themselves and aren't bothered by others. Sounds like your LFS is lame like mine.

My LFS told me that Yellow coris wrasse won't eat my monti nudi problem. After 2 weeks of having him no sign of them. A month later monti growing back.

Yes it is. Why do you ask?

Because a biocube really isn't large enough to house that fish. Most wrasses have a reputation for being extremely energetic and need lots of rocks and crevices to explore. They can become troublesome in small tanks. The link in the above post states a minimum of 70 gallons. These wrasses are also known to be difficult to keep

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pseudojuloides_wrasses.htm

Because a biocube really isn't large enough to house that fish. Most wrasses have a reputation for being extremely energetic and need lots of rocks and crevices to explore. They can become troublesome in small tanks. The link in the above post states a minimum of 70 gallons. These wrasses are also known to be difficult to keep

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pseudojuloides_wrasses.htm

I dont get it hes a wrasse that maxes out at 3.5 inches, hes does swim around but is less energetic than most wrasse nothing like a six line for instance. 70 gallon really hes sees happy so far Why not a biocube. Hes is eating PE Missis like a pig but dosnt like hikari missis. Hes seems to have an understanding with my fame back angel.

Umm, hey guys, I bought this fish at my LFS but I don't know anything about it. <_<

I know it's a wrasse and it was eating fine when I bought it & eating fine now. I just wanted to know what exact type it was. why are you being so rude to me.

^+1 research before purchase.. you can always ask a lfs to hold something while u find out a little more about it

Thanks for giving me some helpful advice without being a jerk about it. like socaldude

Arkayology
Thanks for giving me some helpful advice without being a jerk about it. like socaldude

:tears:

Next time research what you are buying.

I dont get it hes a wrasse that maxes out at 3.5 inches, hes does swim around but is less energetic than most wrasse nothing like a six line for instance. 70 gallon really hes sees happy so far Why not a biocube. Hes is eating PE Missis like a pig but dosnt like hikari missis. Hes seems to have an understanding with my fame back angel.

my kid is only 42" tall she fits in her closet but i don't make her live there. i'm just saying that fish is gonna start giving your problems or you'll just shorten its life span significantly. good luck.

:tears:

Next time research what you are buying.

The store had it labeled as a multi colored wrasse ,I dont know if they will appreciate it but Ill see that they get your tip.

The store had it labeled as a multi colored wrasse ,I dont know if they will appreciate it but Ill see that they get your tip.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really should take that guy back if you can. A biocude does not have the swimming room needed for a wrasse or tangs, they get huge when full grown. He may be small now but they can grow pretty quick. One last thing, if your going to ask for help your going to need thicker skin. These guys know what they're talking about and are just trying to look out for you and the animal at stake.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really should take that guy back if you can. A biocude does not have the swimming room needed for a wrasse or tangs, they get huge when full grown. He may be small now but they can grow pretty quick. One last thing, if your going to ask for help your going to need thicker skin. These guys know what they're talking about and are just trying to look out for you and the animal at stake.

Ok lets gets our facts streight a six line wrasse max size is 3 inches + its extremely active & according to all is a great addition for my 29 biocube . This royal pencil has a max size of 3.5 & its way less active & less aggressive & Im being irresponsible for buying him WTF. Ive added some pics of him in his new home. You decide if its ok.

post-67134-1306985107_thumb.jpg

it may do fine but it may not it mite love to swim and your tank may not be big enough to let it do this or it may have aggression problems, but in general really research about your fish before you buy one because you may get something that looks really cool and cute then a few months down the road its a terror that attacks fish and eats coral, not that i'm saying he will but research, research, research.

sorry if every one is sounding like they are putting you down but they are just trying to help out.

it may do fine but it may not it mite love to swim and your tank may not be big enough to let it do this or it may have aggression problems, but in general really research about your fish before you buy one because you may get something that looks really cool and cute then a few months down the road its a terror that attacks fish and eats coral, not that i'm saying he will but research, research, research.

sorry if every one is sounding like they are putting you down but they are just trying to help out.

Here's a size pic

post-67134-1306985763_thumb.jpg

It may work out for you. I was just trying to point out that it didn't sound like the best idea and still I wouldn't recommend it to others. Even within the same species individual fish will have different needs and attitudes. Keep us posted and hopefully you prove us wrong -- I'd rather have that than a dead fish, anyway.

Nice aquascape, btw.

It may work out for you. I was just trying to point out that it didn't sound like the best idea and still I wouldn't recommend it to others. Even within the same species individual fish will have different needs and attitudes. Keep us posted and hopefully you prove us wrong -- I'd rather have that than a dead fish, anyway.

Nice aquascape, btw.

The Royal pencil wrasse is fairly new to the hobby there's not much info on them on the net just one site that says max size is 3.5 it also mentioned that they usually die in the shipping process or they won't eat when they arrive hes won't eat hikari mysis but loves, the much larger PE mysis, he also likes black worms hes a real pig. I appreciate the compliment on my aquascape I worked hard on it. :D

Archived