inTank Media Baskets

Ultralife Red Slime Remover...

redhawk45

I just had it up to here with the red slime, and I broke down to buy the Ultralife Red Slime Remover. I mixed it as it said, dumped it in the tank, turned the water green...so, how long does it take for the red slime to disappear (if it does), or does it just let go on what it's on and gets sucked up into the sponges in the back? How long do I wait until i do a water change after putting the stuff in?

Love to hear how this stuff works...and crossing my fingers my tank doesn't crash in the process, contrary to what the manufacturer says about it being safe for all livestock.

I would not use it. peroxide is ten times better, see the peroxide thread in the disease and pest forum most of the way down on the board

we need pics

most would recommend removal and water changing as starters, treatments for what comes back

I've done the removal and water changes a lot, and it just doesn't clear it up. There was a moment I thought it did, but it came back. Photo attached. I mean, look...this is just part of my tank. No matter how I suck the stuff up, use a soft toothbrush to brush it out, I'm always end up with it back.

BTW, the water only momentarily turned green...it cleared up after a couple hours. But, I'm still not sure how fast the stuff works. Everyone else says that it works.:P

I took a look at the peroxide thread...that was done to green type of algae. I have cyannobacteria, or red slime algae. Anyway, I want green algae...lol. That's what my snails eat. Yea, even the snails aren't able to take care of the red slime:P

I would not use it. peroxide is ten times better, see the peroxide thread in the disease and pest forum most of the way down on the board

we need pics

most would recommend removal and water changing as starters, treatments for what comes back

post-50551-1313095534_thumb.jpg

easy fix for peroxide the pic helped~a tank drain and spot treatment will zap it. peroxide kills every form of algae, cyano macro regardless of color. single celled organisms are the target, and in the case of red cyano they are single celled monerans who w be zapped by h202 as a spot treatment.

nothing could beat the drain and spray action, drain the tank, spray h202 only on the red w a spray bottle via misting, let sit 3 mins, refill, it dies

post back pics

the tank is serious enough to warrant a systemic dosing per that thread but a blanket spot treatment is better, its less peroxide on corals

even w a systemic, those corals are not susceptible to peroxide as a weak systemic...easy cure though

I would not use the red slime removers

The way the tank is set up, and with the couple fish I got in there, I don't think i could drain the whole tank, especially how slow I am with a bucket and siphon for the highest corals to be out of water for too long (zoa and GSP). But, I've even done a water change every week once, and that nearly wiped out my watermelon zoa population...they didn't like the fast water changes at all.

Manual removal of the stuff via toothbrush has worked, but I can't get everywhere..and yes, the stuff is everywhere.

something else stressed them, zoanthids are adapted to very long emersion. the drain and spray is the safest and guaranteed method, but a systemic is secondary and likely to be just as effective in this case. we'll have to read that big thread again to get the per gallon daily dosages of h202 but it was done several times. a quick re read w have it again...keep a pic log of this, we keep amassing more proof in that thread and this could be another one...

I used it before on my 150 and followed the directions. I added the proper amount waited 48 hours and applied te second treatment. This didn't clear up my problem. It looked good for a week and then came back again.

When I took the 150 down I set up 2 BC 14s with water, sand and rock from the 150. After the first week the green and red slime was getting out of control again.

I double dosed the tank so I think it's like 1 spoonful for each 10 gals. I used a double treatment and in 24 hours I couldn't find slime if my life depended on it.

I then took an opportunity to have a clean slate and finally switched from tap to distilled. I did a 75% water change 2 days in a row. The water started looking better. I then added a media rack with purigen and chemi pure elite.

I have since purchased an RODI unit and continue to do weekly water changes. My tanks are looking great, the cordlike is growing like crazy now and no issues.

One thing to remember add an oxygen supply as the slime out will lower the oxygen level. I just sed a little air stone for 2 days

Bosco...you said two things I definately couldn't afford: RO unit and buying bottled water like crazy.

You know, I just thought...I had bought one of those phosphate control pads, and those never even worked:P

So far, I think my deflector in my tank is helping with oxygen supply (can't afford an airstone). Tomorrow I'll be doing a water change anyway, 2 days after dosage. It has cleared up a tad bit...of course, I used a toothbrush to help out a bit. So far, the red slime hasn't grown much at all, and the coral, inverts, and fish seem to be doing fine.

Bosco...you said two things I definately couldn't afford: RO unit and buying bottled water like crazy.

And there is the reason why you haven't been able to solve your algae problems

Well, I had my doubts, but the Ultralife Red Slime Remover worked without harming anything, and it helped get rid of the red slime. All there needs to be done is a water change and any brushing of a bit of the dead stuff, then the tank will be good to go!

Nasty Canasta

If it doesn't do the job for you i would highly recommend Dr Tim's Waste Away & ReFresh, great products, totally harmless if used as directed, no chemicals just good algae eating bacteria, worked perfectly for me, tanks has never looked so clean, i add a little each month to keep it that way.

Dr Tim's

A couple of chaps i've recommended it to have had good results as well, don't be scared by its warning about "may be dangerous to shrimp in high doses"...just don't add it in high doses, just use as directed and shrimp will be fine.

Well, I had my doubts, but the Ultralife Red Slime Remover worked without harming anything, and it helped get rid of the red slime. All there needs to be done is a water change and any brushing of a bit of the dead stuff, then the tank will be good to go!

Can u show us a before and after pics?

Well, the before pic is several posts up from here...Once I get the water change done, I'll post another photo. I also need to reglue a zoa frag and find a new spot for my green mushroom - couldn't glue the mushroom down due to the red slime.

-- Look for a photo tonight, once everything settles down and the coral should pop out.

BTW GOODgREEF...beautiful tank! If the red slime is offically gone, perhaps my tank will finally start to pick up to looking like that. How much did that LED lighting set-up cost ya?

Uh, I don't even have 120 bucks to my name right now.

did you happen to check the spectrapure refurb units out yet??

I really think that you should get one and again only 120.00 on sale

Here's the after picture of my tank. The outside needs a bit cleaned up, but as you can see, not a drop of red slime anywhere! The only thing I'm waiting for is the coral to be back to their normal, opening self after the water change.

post-50551-1313363370_thumb.jpg

Archived