Coral Vue Hydros

Maxspect Razor Owners thread

Daveg99

diverseyboats

Hey all. Just setup my Razor Nano over my IM 8G... Love the quality of the light... so much more than the stock! What I find kinda annoying is the leaning of the device under its own weight..... Has maybe a .5" slant back to front... Anyone experience this? Seems like the plastic clamp in the back is the culprit...

Hey all. Just setup my Razor Nano over my IM 8G... Love the quality of the light... so much more than the stock! What I find kinda annoying is the leaning of the device under its own weight..... Has maybe a .5" slant back to front... Anyone experience this? Seems like the plastic clamp in the back is the culprit...

Ya mine does that as well. It doesn't botther me anymore though.

Can you take a picture of this slant and post :)

When I looked at the design I was thinking this could happen, looking at the physics of the bracket. Hmmmmm.

Christine

Drift Monkey

Just hang it. Problem solved. :lol:

• Like 2

so what're your timing schedules! i feel like mine was too long and was/is fueling my cyan outbreak. changed it to the following:

07:00 0 1
10:00 25 35
13:30 35 70
16:00 65 85
19:30 50 70
20:30 0 0

thoughts?

diverseyboats

Curious who out there has the Razor Nano above an 8gal IM Nuvo tank? Playing with the intensity settings... Only have a rock nem now, will be adding a maxi-mini, some shrooms and zoas next week.

For the last two weeks, had the A channel up to 75 during the day. Think that's been pissing my rock nem off as he's trying to get out of the light. Just changed the programming to max out at A 60 B40.

Other info is I have the light on the second level up... about 6" from the tank.

60 seem about right for a white channel for how I'll be stocking it soon?

Thanks!

I have it above a 30 gallon IM Nuvo. I have mostly LPS but I only have both channels maxing out at 50%. My corals are doing great with that so far but as I said my stocking is different than yours.

EvolutionZ

Who says the 27" cannot cover a 48x24" foot print?

Just got my razor!

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/20130602_201541_zpsdf9ca925.jpg.html'>20130602_201541_zpsdf9ca925.jpg

my tank's a 48x24x14" tank. im hanging the lights around 15" above water level.

This pic shows A : 70% B : 100%, looks brighter in real life. but can see coverage all the way to the side, can keep mushrooms/zoas there with no problem.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/20130602_231416_zps074eeae1.jpg.html'>20130602_231416_zps074eeae1.jpg

currently running max of A : 40%, B : 70% as i do not want to bleach my sps.

http://s961.photobucket.com/user/fissiden/media/20130602_230808_zps2707b0a9.jpg.html'>20130602_230808_zps2707b0a9.jpg

• Like 6
EvolutionZ

EvolutionZ, you have a beautiful tank! Kudos!!

Thanks! this light is amazing.. i don't have any disco effect but probably because im hanging the light high up. Have no idea why people go for those expensive fixture when they can get this amazingly thin razor with great colors for much cheaper price.

I posted this on a separate topic to make it easier for a search, but I want to make sure this is on here for the Razor owners thread too.

I purchased two 27" Razors and one had the LCD display go blank. The blue back light came on but no characters. CoralVue was very quick to respond and I asked them to send me the display and I would replace it rather than send the whole unit back, risking damage during shipping.

I have built three computers from scratch so I was confident I could manage this project. As it turns out it was so easy I feel any one can do it.

All you need is a small Phillips screwdriver.

If you have carpet on the floors, low humidity and often shock your self on door knobs it is best to always discharge the static electricity by grounding yourself before you touch the insides of the Razor or any circuit boards. You will kill the board if you zap it. :)

Unplug your Razor!

There are four small screws that hold the display panel to the Razor's edge. I found these screws are soft so care needs to be taken not to strip them. IMG_20130606_155554_016_zps25172a9a.jpg

Slide the panel off the razor slowly and carefully becase there are two ribbons that attach the mother board to the display panel.

IMG_20130606_155827_225_zps6bcc6640.jpg

Here you can see the two ribbons. One has a white plug which simply pulls off. The LDC connector ribbon is gold with a black end. It has no plug but is rigid at the end and is just pushed into the slot on the mother board.

IMG_20130606_155835_932_zps04ad291d.jpg

Carefully pull the white plug out from the receptacle on the display panel. Now it is easier to pull the gold ribbon from the mother board receptacle. Here you see the white plug on the MB side and the gold ribbon with the black end on the LCD side.

IMG_20130606_155941_671_zps484dfb81.jpg

In the picture above you will notice a small silver screw. You will remove this screw in order to slide the bar, that holds the LCD screen in place, out of the way.

IMG_20130606_160127_896_zps1134424e.jpg

Gently slide the bar out and lift the LCD out. Replace it with the new one remembering to have the ribbon in the right direction. Otherwise the display will be upside down. Pluggin in the white plug first amkes it easier to push the LCD ribbon back in place.

IMG_20130606_160439_163_zps8704c450.jpg

When you hold the gold ribbon do not hold it from the edges but hold it on its flat side. The ribbon is like film and will kink and possibly damaging the tracings.

IMG_20130606_160554_054_zpsb8f1dbc7.jpg

You are now ready to slide the panel back into place. Make sure you line up the slots on the DP and the tabs on Razor body. It will not go back together properly without this step.

ada2a0af-559a-4376-bebb-90425340cb28_zps

Place the screws back in. Again these are soft and easy to crossthread! :(

Do not over tighten these or you may have trouble if you ever need to get back in.

IMG_20130606_160809_066_zps10afecbc.jpg

You are ready to plug in and program if needed. Good luck!

IMG_20130606_161303_299_zps2dca3026.jpg

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I have built three computers from scratch so I was confident I could manage this project.

Good lord, the more I find out about you, the more awesome you turn out to be!

• Like 4

Good lord, the more I find out about you, the more awesome you turn out to be!

Thanks! The feeling is mutual. :D

Gonna have to get a bigger hat size. -_-

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
I think best bang for your buck is why people go with the razor it seems.

I was going to build a DIY fixture. But I could not find a sleek nice looking enclosure. It had a built in controller, that's $80 saved off the ALC I needed to buy.

The passive cooling is a selling point. I don't want fans blowing if they don't need to.

I'm wondering if it has any disco effect though? I never worried about that until I saw it on a tank yesterday. Very unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 120w for over the top of 50G Cadlights 'cube. 10K color version. Id be interested in any critiques of this.

finish016_zps77b7b024.jpgfinish018_zps4af5a201.jpg

This light is amazing for the price, glad I went with it!!

I still need to play with the hieght adjustment from the water surface.

Is that what they look like. With all those red and blue circle blotches?

Drift Monkey

MIne is quite blended.

1039556_10151542785616137_2100579016_o.j

I think it's quite hard to capture how this looks on a camera. The "blotches" are likely the shimmer produced. If you don't like that effect...stick with T5s or something.

MIne is quite blended..

Not really. You have blue blotches over to the left side that are notable.

MIne is quite blended.

If you don't like that effect...stick with T5s or something.

It's not that, if I pay $420 for a light show like that...I better at least get some lap dances. Is the pole included, or is it optional?

Maybe it's only on the 16K models. The vids of the 10k versions, I can't see it.

Drift Monkey

Not really. You have blue blotches over to the left side that are notable.

It's not that, if I pay $420 for a light show like that...I better at least get some lap dances. Is the pole included, or is it optional?

Maybe it's only on the 16K models. The vids of the 10k versions, I can't see it.

I dunno what to tell you...it doesn't look blotchy in person at all.