ReefCleaners.org

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Nice shot! Looks like it's not even it water

Thanks man. :)

if you think those are cool corallites....

18592_4s1FRMnc5z.jpg

regardless, sick pic man! how's the frag tank add on going?

Yah, the Abrotanoides are really sexy. There was a frag but I went with the Spathulata because it's like a Stag crossed with a Mille, I like the fuzz. :lol: Smaller tank is dry currently because we're away over Christmas so I'm holding out to set something up. :)

I need new boxers

:lol: How's that Red Planet? Got a branch yet? fingerscrossed

• Like 2

FTS - December 07, 2014;

There has been some shuffling of corals in the tank - here's an updated FTS.

fts_dec_07_1024.jpg

Mini Update + Pictures;

Over the past month I've been on a mission to try and increase nutrients a little. I am feeding a bit more and have cut back on water changes a lot. I did my first water change in a month yesterday and the overall change has been a positive one for me. All corals look very similar and some have nicer colours than before, there is still some browning I'm trying to figure out - one day when I get the SPS to look how I envision it will be glorious, until then, I'll keep trying. :lol:

This coral's tips have gone a lot bluer and it's looking really beautiful.

blue_tipped_acro_005.jpg

The Table Acro is looking good as well, not really changed but it's flesh looks good.

table_acro_012.jpg

table_acro_013.jpg

And I like this fuzzy Tenuis. :)

blue_white_tenuis_004.jpg

I'll try do some more pictures today, we've had load shedding all weekend so I've been more focused on that.

• Like 8

Can we get a video please!!!

I'm not a videographer but I'll try at some point when I have enough free time.

Dude, sweet progress. You should really be proud man. Awesome new frag also, I have managed to kill 2 very similar to that in the last 12 months haha.

Thanks man, it's been a good ride. It's hard being patient waiting to see if things you try have worked but learning patience is a good thing I guess. :lol: I've had that Tenuis for a few months now, it's encrusted well and should start getting more branches soon but it keeps getting fuzzier, really love it.
  • Like 1

TOTM January 2015. Once wasn't enough.

Hah! Thanks man. :lol:

WOW Shaun, the tank is looking awesome, I need to borrow some of that magic.

Thanks Bryan, it's getting there. Looking forward to more pictures of your tank, it's looking good.

Beenw watching this thread for awhile! Love this tank

Thanks.

Very nice tank mate, Inspire me to set up my shallow tank. How do you keep your sand so clean? Did you manual shift it ?

Thanks. I use a turkey baster to blast areas of the sand every few days. Usually before dosing Coral Snow. Seems to do the job quite well.
jedimasterben

So does that mean they get less light? Just curious... on the Deepwater part.

The 'deepwater' moniker has been misused so much that it now just refers to any "smooth-skinned" (meaning few radial corallites) acropora. They have the same range as other species of acropora and are found both on the tips of the reef crests down to around 20m or so.

• Like 1

Deepwater Acro - 2 Months Growth (Oct - Dec);

These Acros are really taking off now.

You know how I love the "over time" shots. :D Thanks for posting this, terrific progress! Best I can figure some corals are just more sensitive to phosphate than others. I've waffled so many times on the phosphate issue but right now, based on PODPIMP's current tank, I'm going for no detectable phosphate, reasonable nitrates (he runs up to 20 with no issues) and feeding as heavily as I can stand. Time will tell, as always. That, and very low KH. I doubt I will ever run above 8 again, at least on purpose. My reading seems to indicate acros can handle a KH spike say between 7 and 8 much better than they can handle 8 to 9.

Rich's tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337716-podpimps-115-gallon-custom-cube-32x32x26/page-7#entry4897476

You know how I love the "over time" shots. :D Thanks for posting this, terrific progress! Best I can figure some corals are just more sensitive to phosphate than others. I've waffled so many times on the phosphate issue but right now, based on PODPIMP's current tank, I'm going for no detectable phosphate, reasonable nitrates (he runs up to 20 with no issues) and feeding as heavily as I can stand. Time will tell, as always. That, and very low KH. I doubt I will ever run above 8 again, at least on purpose. My reading seems to indicate acros can handle a KH spike say between 7 and 8 much better than they can handle 8 to 9.

Rich's tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337716-podpimps-115-gallon-custom-cube-32x32x26/page-7#entry4897476

Haha yah man, it's cool to see how things grow - sometimes you don't notice it as much till you see pictures. :)

Rich's tank is just beast mode with growth and colours. Hopefully one day I can have that kind of success. :lol: For now I'll also just aim for no Phosphates and heavy feeding, we'll see how it turns out. Everything is growing at least.

• Like 2