Pod Your Reef

Trumpet Coral Placement

BioTank

Hello,
I have recently added a Trumpet Coral to my collection of Corals in my BioCube 14. With my LR structure I found it difficult to find an ideal placement for this new coral and I ended up placing them a little more horizontal to the lights than I would have preferred. I was wondering if the people who have had experience with these corals could tell me how critical the placement is for the polyps to point upwards to the light?
Also one of the lower polyps is almost touching LR when it is closed and touches when open. Will is lose that polyp? Am I better off to frag it now?
Thanks!

post-82036-0-50439800-1393216419_thumb.jpg

post-82036-0-50439800-1393216419_thumb.jpg

Nice looking tank! They'll be fine at an angle like that. The one touching the rock may get some damage when it inflates and rubs the rock. You could trim that piece off and have a frag of the colony. they grow super fast.

They seem to be pretty resilient. My frag gets knocked over about 100 times and it just keeps growing and splitting. at this point, I can't even see the frag, but I doubt it's been upright for at least several months now.

Thanks to both Gena & Rollermonkey.

I appreciated your insight. I really liked the diversity that the Trumpets provided but wanted to make sure I got the placement right.

I have not had great success with attaching (Glue and/or Putty). It is always a stressful event for me. The issue is I do not like the look of the frag discs so I purchase things that are on rocks or can be easily removed from the disc but then they need to be attached.

Thanks for the comment on the tank Gena. I will try to post some nicer pictures from a better camera so that it does not look so washed out.

I feel you. The only things I've gotten successfully attached in my tank were maximinis (anemone) and some monti cap that started encrusting the rock I placed it on very quickly. Every other frag has been knocked over repeatedly no matter how much glue and epoxy I used.

Archived