Pod Your Reef

Tiny white "worms" on glass

ycats10

What are these? I didn't get a picture I saw them when i turned the light on in the morning and the clowns went to town and ate them. I am just curious what they are.

They are tiny white straight and moved on the glass. There were about 100 of them.

I have hermits, turbo snails, firefish, emerald crab and clowns in my 24 gallon.

Any ideas?

Well, a picture would be helpful but I know it's hard to get a good shot of really tiny things (sometimes it's hard for me to get a good shot of big things as well!)

I have also found tiny worms on my glass along with the copepods, isopods, etc. I haven't been able to identify them except maybe to phylum--i.e., they resemble round worms (nematodes). I have also found minute bristle worms on the glass--the spines only visible with a magnifying glass. I don't know if these are young of the bigger worms or separate species. (I think the latter.) I have seen several micro nematodes in detritus I've siphoned out and looked at under a microscope. Some "swam" by rapidly flexing their bodies; others moved like inchworms.

There is a whole world of microfauna in our tanks--some of it is described in articles about sandbeds or other substrates in the online magazines. I don't know what would cause a sudden "bloom" but it sounds like it was a nice source of fish food!

If you see more, try to observe if they have segments, bristles, appendages, etc, and how they move.

Interesting.

--Diane

(BTW, when FW tanks get something similar, they are called "white worms." :) They appear in aged tanks with plants, usually, and are highly desired as fry food for egglayers.)

Archived